Born and raised exclusively in North Edmonton, I can say with faith that we are a special breed. I truly believe that the Northside is one of the most undervalued areas in this city and that's okay... we're happy to keep the treasure that is north yeg a secret as long as our real estate prices remain affordable ;) Here are a few northyegisms only those on this side of the river will understand:
- "Let's head out to BPs for craft beer tonight!" Okay so not knocking Boston Pizza at all here, as a mom and bandera bread believer there is definitely a place in my heart for this spot but we also need local shops too - a place where we can set institution and chain aside and really connect with the people that are preparing and serving up some stellar grub. We have a few great ones but need so many more - this is my plea to potential local restauranteurs - the Northside needs you!!
- "Just north/south of 137 Ave and east/west of 97 street." 137 Avenue and 97 Street are the true north yeg compass. If you can't tell me where you are in relation to these two I won't have any idea of where the heck you are!
- "Crank up the ACDC!!" This one goes out to a dear friend who served as a life guard on the north side for many years. Teaching water aerobics to the 50+ in north Edmonton evidently means Thunderstruck, some CCR and many other rock classics - which is so awesome! Rock on north yeg :)
- "Can I get you a shot while you wait for your pizza?" One locally owned pub we are so fortunate to live only a few blocks from is Knight's Pub and Grill - they always offer me a shot while they box up our pizza order. Typically I decline as I'm usually driving but this is certainly something I feel like would only happen on the north side!
- "Day trip to Ikea!" So the Henday has helped the process a bit but between getting ready, loading the kids in the vehicle driving 30-45 minutes, unpacking, actual shopping time, and the trip home, visits to Ikea for North Edmontonians are still considered day trips- just saying. :)
"Let's get it done!" In my gig as a pr gal I work with people from all over the city and trust me I know that the generosity of Edmontonians in general is really amazing, but in the north end I promise you that I've never felt a stronger sense of the 'let's all pull together and get it done' mentality. North Edmonton is certainly not the most affluent area but our hearts are so big and we'll rally and pull together in an instant when we know our community is in need. Whether it's just helping to pick up the contents of a fallen purse, or if it's banding together and travelling across the globe to build a playground for school children in Vietnam we are so great at putting everything we have into helping others.
I'm so proud to live on this side of the city and to those who haven't taken in an event, walked around Beaumaris lake or even just popped in: You're missing out!